Second Grade Reading Lessons & Activities by CoreKnowledge
This is the complete set of reading and language arts lesson and teaching modules for the second grade published by CoreKnowledge. Grade 2 Reading, Literature and Language standards covered by these units, workbooks and readers include the following. Reading and writing practice lessons for students are linked below. The listening units include student workbook, reading anthologies, supplemental guides, flip-charts, teacher guides and image and vocabulary cards. Also available by CoreKnowledge are the Kindergarten Reading Lessons and Activities and First Grade Reading Lessons and Activities.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity:
- By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories and poetry, and informational texts (history/social studies, science, and technical texts) in the Grades 2–3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Speaking and Listening:
- Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification
Phonics and Word Recognition:
- Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels, and words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- Identify words with inconsistent but common spelling-sound correspondences.
- Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.Fluency:
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
Read grade-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.
- Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
Conventions of Standard English:
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Form and use the past tense of frequently occurring irregular verbs (e.g., sat, hid, told).
- Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy).
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words (e.g., cage → badge; boy → boil).
Vocabulary Acquisition and Use:
- Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from an array of strategies.
- Use knowledge of the meaning of individual words to predict the meaning of compound words (e.g., birdhouse, lighthouse, housefly; bookshelf, notebook, bookmark).
Documents to view and download for the Grade 2 Lessons, Activities and Readers:
- Grade 2 Introduction, Assessment & Remediation All Units
- Grade 2 Individual Code Chart
- Grade 2 Code Flip Book Consonants
- Grade 2 Code Flip Book Vowels
- Grade 2 Fluency Packet
- Grade 2 Spelling Card Set
- Grade 2 Listening Ancient Greek Civilization.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Cycles in Nature.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Early Asian Civilizations.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Fairy Tales and Tall Tales.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Fighting-for-a-Cause.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Greek-Myths.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Immigration.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Insects.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Westward Expansion.zip
- Grade 2 Listening The Human Body Building Blocks and Nutrition.zip
- Grade 2 Listening The US Civil War.zip
- Grade 2 Listening The War of 1812.zip
- Grade 2 Unit 1 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 2 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 3 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 4 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 5 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 6 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 6 Timeline Cards
-love learning -your best ed lessons guide, Scott
This article is great! I can teach my child to read using this. Thank you.
Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a marvelous job!
Hello! I’ve been reading your site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent work!
Major thanks for the blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Cool.
You have some amazing resources here! Thank you!