This is the set of reading and language arts lesson and teaching modules for the second grade published by CoreKnowledge. Grade 2 Reading, Literature and Language standards covered by these units, workbooks and readers include the following:
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity:
- By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories and poetry, and informational texts (history/social studies, science, and technical texts) in the Grades 2–3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Speaking and Listening:
- Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide requested detail or clarification
Phonics and Word Recognition:
- Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels, and words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- Identify words with inconsistent but common spelling-sound correspondences.
- Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.Fluency:
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
Read grade-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.
- Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
Conventions of Standard English:
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- Form and use the past tense of frequently occurring irregular verbs (e.g., sat, hid, told).
- Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences (e.g., The boy watched the movie; The little boy watched the movie; The action movie was watched by the little boy).
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
- Generalize learned spelling patterns when writing words (e.g., cage → badge; boy → boil).
Vocabulary Acquisition and Use:
- Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on Grade 2 reading and content, choosing flexibly from an array of strategies.
- Use knowledge of the meaning of individual words to predict the meaning of compound words (e.g., birdhouse, lighthouse, housefly; bookshelf, notebook, bookmark).
Documents to view and download for the Grade 2 Lessons, Activities and Readers:
- Grade 2 Introduction, Assessment & Remediation All Units
- Grade 2 Individual Code Chart
- Grade 2 Code Flip Book Consonants
- Grade 2 Code Flip Book Vowels
- Grade 2 Fluency Packet
- Grade 2 Spelling Card Set
- Grade 2 Listening Ancient Greek Civilization.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Cycles in Nature.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Early Asian Civilizations.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Fairy Tales and Tall Tales.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Fighting-for-a-Cause.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Greek-Myths.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Immigration.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Insects.zip
- Grade 2 Listening Westward Expansion.zip
- Grade 2 Listening The Human Body Building Blocks and Nutrition.zip
- Grade 2 Listening The US Civil War.zip
- Grade 2 Listening The War of 1812.zip
- Grade 2 Unit 1 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 2 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 3 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 4 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 5 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 6 Reader, Teacher Guide, Workbook
- Grade 2 Unit 6 Timeline Cards
-love learning -your best ed lessons guru, Scott